Saturday, March 30, 2013

Saturday Stash

Projects on and off the needles this week.  And some are still a-blocking. 


Another of the chunky knit kids' sweaters.  I think this one is a little more girly even if it is actual striping rather than a space-dyed yarn.  Maybe it's the aqua.  The pattern is so easy that I can just save it for my social knitting.


Usually, socks are my social knitting because I don't have to pay a whole lot of attention.  Ahem!  This pattern was diabolical to start.  Once you get into the swing of it, it's fairly easy - as long as you count, count, count.  The row counter is doing its job on this project.  The sock blank looks as though it takes the dye very deeply until you frog it for knitting.  Then you can see where the knitted stitches have resisted the dye.  I'm trying to decide if I should re-dye the socks when they're knit up.  I was horrified at first but now I don't really mind the little white flecks when it's knit.  I'm open to suggestions...what do you think?


And this is the Chelsea Morning Shawl - just off the needles and unblocked.  When I was taking the dyed skeins off the drying rack, a ray of sunshine across the yarn reminded me of a line in Joni Mitchell's  song  Chelsea Morning:  "and the sun poured in like butterscotch..."  Perfect, I thought.  The shawl is a breeze to knit and look at all those gorgeous textures.    Like stripes, they just keep you knitting to see what the next section will look like.  My yarn was a bit on the sturdy side so this shawl is built more for comfort than glamor.  It would be fun to try it in a different fiber and/or weight.  What a lovely gift I received.  Pleasure upon pleasure. 


I'll leave you with Joni.

5 comments:

Laura said...

The shawl is stunning- bet those textures feel lovely!
Lx

Annie Jeffries said...

I love crocheting simple little baby sweaters. Five rectangles sewn together and an almost instant sweet sweater.

Mimi said...

oooh I love that shawl, both the butterscotch colour and the lovely textures..is that the pattern Rudee gave you? I think it would also look good in a sweater! I love texture, to look at and to knit!
My vote on the socks is to leave them be, I like the unpredictability of the non-dyed bits.

Rudee said...

Where do I even begin? The shawl is beautiful and indeed looks like butterscotch. Gorgeous. Mine is done, too, and like yours, I haven't blocked it yet, either. It was such a fast knit. I'm now on to a stealthy knit for a wedding gift.

I was so surprised at the depth of color and variations in my own red socks. I think I'd leave the flecks as I think you'll get even more color variation where the dye will take and where again, it won't. I like them as they are and don't think the flecks take away from the color. They're beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You have been busy. The sun must be calling you to garden as well. I love the textures and colours of everything.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin