Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday Stash

The traveller is home; the Christmas decorations are put away and it's time to start a whole new year of stash knitting.  I have a whole bunch of yarny goodness to share this week.


Ta, da! The first finished project of 2013.  I was so keen to get started with my alpaca/merino blend.  And I really wanted to make the brimmed hat.  It was an easy knit - complete in an evening.  So I tried it on...and remembered why I never make myself brimmed hats.  NOT FOR ME.   I didn't even take a photo it was so horrible.  I just frogged right away and went searching for a mitten pattern.  Because, all the time I'd been knitting the hat, I was wishing that I'd have enough for mitts, too.  So I chose Dingle Bobble mittens by Jamie Marie Binkley.  I love how the yarn feels and the mittens are so toasty warm. Perfect for me who always seems to have cold hands in the winter.


I made a start on the two balls of grape baby alpaca/silk that I bought myself in December.  Another scarf which will take a while.  For some reason, it's not a fast knit although it sure looks like it should be.  I'm using Bias scarf by Helena Bristow. 


One of my Christmas gifts - I hinted very loud - was a 9 inch circular needle in my favorite sock knitting size.  It is so handy.  I don't mind the little-ness of it at all and I can knit those complex cable patterns that trail over the break in traditional dpn socks.  I'm not a fan of two circulars so this is wonderful. I even had to cast on a sock cuff to try it out.  This won't be anything...it's just a remnant of yarn. 


And along with the sweet little circ came a skein of  Fleece Artist BFL Sock.  Such beautiful colors and such a subtle color mix.  I'm detecting a purple theme here. I love purple socks.  This will be my fourth pair.  Thanks to Deb and family.


Apparently, this pile of natural wool was an Aran-style sweater which was too big for anyone.  So the family had a frogging party over Christmas and it became all these professional-looking skeins.  I have an order for a new project but I don't know what it is yet.


Also about to jump into the frog pond is this thrift store vest.  Doesn't it remind you of the one I just finished?  But it's heavier yarn and, again, too big for anyone who likes it to wear. The yarn's the thing.   It also has five very nice wooden buttons.  There must be a pattern that will use them both together.

Among my other knitting goodies:  I will have the pleasure of shopping for something lovely on elann.com thanks to Wendy and Marlin.  And, over the Christmas holidays, I was gifted with  free designer patterns from Elena Nodel, Tin Can Knits and Shui Kuen Kozinski.   Thank you to all of these designers for their generosity. 

And, of course, I'm all ready for the Downton Abbey Mystery KAL.  The yarn is dyed and wound into balls.  The swatch is knit up and I'm just waiting for the "start your needles" flag drop.  I took a quiz he other day on which Downton Abbey character I was.  Apparently, I am John Bates - which didn't really surprise me.  If you want to play with the quiz, it's here.

6 comments:

Rudee said...

I knew we got along well for a reason...I am Anna Smith. LOL.

It's all your fault I watched any of this in the first place. I've had 3 days off in a row and thanks to Netflix (season 1) and Amazon, I'm all caught up. I've watched 14 episodes in 3 days. I'm saving the Christmas special for later. I've also knit my swatch with some Madelinetosh Pashmina in a gorgeous shade of pale, pale blue.

I love the mittens, and that bias scarf is beautiful. What more needs to be said about Hand Maiden yarns, except I think they're beautiful? Gorgeous skein you have there!

Joanna said...

I think it's so very cool that you can reuse beautiful wood and buttons from thrift store finds. Recycling at its very best!

I am so looking forward to the third season of Downton Abbey. I missed some from last year too. Hope they'll be on Netflix soon.

I just took the quiz and I am Lady Sybil Crawley.

Angela said...

The mittens are adorable, the pink sweater is just beautiful, and the purple yarn. Wow. Such a beautiful color!

Tanna said...

So many lovely things and yarn!! The mittens are wonderful. They look so very soft and warm! You are off with a bang for 2013! blessings ~ tanna

Angie said...

All looking very delish!

Empty Nester said...

I really like those...wait a second. You can buy old sweaters and things and use the yarn for something new? Whoa. I've got TONS of things like that....I swear I had no idea.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin