Thursday, August 2, 2012

Woolgathering

Pictures?  Or words? 

I like them both and I've been known to pore over old family photos.  I love comparing the new faces in the family with the old.  I enjoy the travel photos that we all take and share on our blogs.  And travelling is where I started wondering about words and pictures. 

I've just finished a novel set in Quebec City.  Not a place I've always longed to visit.  But, the words were so evocative that I found myself wanting to see it for myself.  To feel it for myself.  The author put me right on the street.  True, it was mid-winter and I doubt that I'd want to visit then.  But maybe, I should. Maybe the feelings I responded to wouldn't be there in the summer.  But, oh, the biting cold doesn't appeal to me.

 The reason that I wanted so badly to visit l'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland had nothing to do with pictures in a National Geographic.  No, what tipped my desire was a book: The Far Traveller by Nancy Marie Brown.  She has a very interesting blog, visit it here.

This novel introduced me to real people with real lives.  I could feel Iceland and the adventure and anxiety as the wooden ships set out on the North Atlantic.  I could 'know' what it was like to live in that tiny settlement on the northern peninsula of Newfoundland in the cold winters and the beautiful summers. I was back in time, living in a sod house by the sea. 

It's always the people.  It's their thoughts and feelings that can't be expressed in photos.  Now, if only I had some words to go with those old family photos.  Wouldn't that be wonderful?  This makes me realize that there are no words to go with my own not-so-old pictures.  Maybe there should be some stories.    



4 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Yes, there should DEFINITELY be stories.
*foot tapping here, waiting...*

Rudee said...

I liked Quebec. I think you should go, but definitely in summer. You can use your imagination for winter!

Tanna said...

Hmmm... definitely stories!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Now you've got me wanting to travel again. Not that it takes much... :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin