Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday wonders - Q

Q is for Quidditch.


This is the game played in the Harry Potter novels and it makes perfect sense in that setting.


Given the restless minds and bodies of university students, it's probably not too surprising that this game would have captured their imaginations.  It began in Middlebury College in 2005.  There's an official site for the International Quidditch Association complete with a history,  merchandise and all the action and opportunity of other energy-burners. There's even a World Cup which is competed for by many university quidditch teams. 


I think any game or activity that gets young men and women out running around in the open air has great value  The costumes are weird and wonderful and lend even more color to this already amazing game.  It looks as though it could get rough at times but if you play I'm sure that's all part of the game's excitement. 

 I wonder if running with a broomstick between your legs is at all dangerous?  Or am I just thinking like a mom?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such fun.

Ginny Hartzler said...

They run around with broomsticks between their legs? If I were to see this, I might think it hilarious...I guess because I have not read the Potter books.

Empty Nester said...

I am not one bit surprised to see that it's college students involved in this. LOL

Mimi said...

It does look like good, harmless fun!
And I agree that anything that gets them out in the fresh air has to be good!
Great choice for Q, Stephanie.

Joanna said...

I had no idea it had turned into a real game!

Rudee said...

Now that's a great example of a letter than can be hard to use!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin