Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chattin'

It may be a new year but it's still winter.  This morning, I'm looking forward to a nice cozy chat with everyone over at Patrice's. 


Once again, I seem to be late...there's a lot of people enjoying the chat today.  What are they saying?  Let's find out...

What's your favorite kind of tree?  My favorite trees are always deciduous.   I love trees that have seasons.  Where I live, near the mountains in Vancouver, we are always surrounded by evergreens.  They are beautiful, often majestic but their seasonal changes are not too noticeable.  I love the changing colors of leaves and even the fact that they fall off leaving the tree bare.  And then those tender green leaves that I know will return.   I prefer a tree that provides dappled rather than solid shade in the summer.  In my own yard, my favorite tree - and we have several - is the star magnolia which is covered in furry little buds right now.  Inside are the white blooms waiting for spring.  

How did you celebrate the New Year? Not much of a party girl really.  My idea of ringing in the New Year is to begin knitting a new sweater for someone.  That has become kind of a tradition for me.  Otherwise, it's a quiet night with just the two of us.  

Do you have any family traditions for the New Year? Same answer as above. 


I'm so glad I____________ in 2011.  Was able to spend two weeks in the high desert experiencing the Grand canyon and all that magnificent scenery.  This had never been high on my wish list but I'm so glad it was at the top of  someone's else's and I got to go, too.

Did you have a nickname as a child?  When I was very small, my Dad started calling me Lucy.  This was because I always took my shoes and socks off.  There was a song called "Put Your Shoes on Lucy"



with the last  line: "Put your shoes on, Lucy, you're a big girl now".  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did remembering my dad singing it to me. The nickname stuck for a lot of years. 

That's about it for me this week.  In my mind, this conversation always includes my sister, now.  She follows my blog and enjoys my answers to the day's questions.   She finds that she would have answered many of the questions exactly the same as I do.  Unless it's something about our parents...we're far enough apart in age that our parents were different people to each of us. 


See you all next week...I'm still dancin' in my bare feet.  You can dance on over to Patrice's place at Everyday Rurality.  You'll have a good time, guaranteed.

11 comments:

Kim said...

LOVED your answer to the nickname question. That is a sweet story. My grandma's name was Lucy but my grandfather called her "apple barrel" LOL She didn't mind, she was so good natured!

Rudee said...

I love the song and the wonderful nickname!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

I loved the song :-) When I was little, my older brother called me Truckbottom, even though my bottom was not that large! You know how brothers are...for New Year's Eve, my husband and I had nachos, and then on New Year's Day, we decided we would never eat again! Lovely blog.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

I was signed in with my other ID, so stop by and see my at my personal blog at writeryogini.blogspot.com

Suzanne McClendon said...

Bare feet are much more fun than feet in shoes. I still remember the tickle of the grass between my toes when I was a little girl. :)

I enjoyed your post and am here from Patrice's porch. Have a great night!

Empty Nester said...

I'm behind too. But I wanted to post about Breezy's birthday so I'm going to be really, really late with the chat!

I love many types of trees but a weeping willow is my absolute favorite!

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

When I was I kid I spent so much time barefoot that I could run across gravel without it hurting at all! These days I always seem to have slippers on.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Deciduous are gorgeous, especially in the fall. I do love seeing them in their glory. For some reason I felt compelled to say evergreen is my favorite. I think I like the fragrance of evergreen, as well as the color they bring to the stark winter landscape. =D

Mimi said...

I love deciduous trees too! I have a magnolia too, but it's not in bud yet. I love the change of seasons that can be seen in a tree.
Lucy! I have an adorable niece whose name is Lucy! I love how affectionate your father was to give you such a cute nickname.
He he re dancing in bare feet!

Patrice said...

I wasn't much for a party on New Years Eve and it seems like many of the people at "Chats" weren't up late either. I think you should bring your sister to a chat one week.That would be fun!

Cindy said...

Looks like we party close the same way, although I don't bring in the new year knitting it is usually with a craft that has to do with? ya you guessed it, seaglass.
Sweet memories, Lucy

So true about the scenery in the Grand Canyon. I never experienced it with my eyes but have seen a lot of photos. Sisters are fun, lucky Lucy

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin