Monday, April 11, 2011

A - Z Challenge: I-cord

Does anyone find it amazing that it's taken me so many letters to get around to knitting?  I think I was consciously avoiding the topic.  But, I can't hold those needles still another minute.  I-cord is such a cool technique. It's the yellow rope that holds these mukluks together.  Only 3 stitches to knit per row...how easy is that?

When I first discovered it, I wanted to put it everywhere.  Since that wasn't going to work well, I've learned to be selective.  I admit to using it even when instructions call for a crocheted cord.  Oh, I-cord is just fun.  I think I could happily knit miles of it.  There are lots of video tutorials on You-tube so I'm not going to give a lesson here.  But if you've never made it - give it a try!


It doesn't have to be a tie-up kind of cord, either.  You could attach it as you make the I-cord like I did on this tool bag.  The red frame around the bag  is just a  knitted cord that ends in a loop.


Or, you could have some fun with it.  One day in a shop, I saw a very cool yarn that looked like fuzzy cocoons linked with yarn.  Apparently, you could knit a scarf that sort of looked like fur with it.  But, I thought:  I-cord.  Then I went home and tried to recreate the yarn.  Did you read in my intro that I often reinvent wheels?  Yup.  I spent hours making a string of I-cord cocoons for no other reason than to prove I could. Never did make anything with my cocoons on a string.

When I discovered I-cord, the explanation for the name was that it was Idiot-cord because it was so simple to make:  3 stitches on two dp needles and no purling!  Of course, that's not at all PC and nowadays you  usually find it in pattern instructions as 'knitted cord'.  But that kind of takes all the color out of it, so I'll continue with I-cord if only in mind - and in today's post. 

15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never heard the word Mukluks!! Are they warm slippers? they are really cute with the yellow!! And I love the tool bag!!

Jeannette StG said...

What would we do without an I-cord?? because I started knitting hats as my first projects and then purses, I was in need of them very quickly:)

Empty Nester said...

I love it! And the name too!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

creative craft..
love the whole idea.

Mel_Cole said...

Wow, you are a fast knitter. I can knit but too many things to do and my projects are always set aside. Sigh. I love the rope you made :) My yellow Monday at Hearts content, Love Home and in
Jolly Toes. Hope you can visit.

Donea Lee said...

Those mukluks are so cute! Thanks for the intro to I-cord ~ :)

Mimi said...

It's a harmless enough kind of non-pc name!
I think I would find it frustrating to knit, though, if you have to turn it every row?
But it does make a lovely border for that bag!

LA Nickers said...

Love the craft bag. That's cool!

Linda Ann

I stopped by via the A to Z Challenge for April, and I invite you to visit my blogs at The Mane Point (Horses), Nickers and Ink (Poetry), Practically at Home (Home and Helpful How-to’s) and the Meme Express (Daily Blog Prompts).

Deirdra A. Eden said...

cute socks!!!I love your site and as I browsed your blog I decided to award you the Creative Blog Award.
Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra

Cindy said...

Love the socks, great job. Maybe I can get into the next A to Z

Joanna said...

Those are very cool! I like the name; it sounds like something from the Apple corporation! Not being a knitter much of what you say goes right over my head. But I do like the footwear.

Rudee said...

I am surprised it took you this long to get around to the subject, but you hit it out of the ballpark with icord. I love this technique, too.

Anonymous said...

To be honest I am thrilled, I have been impatiently awaiting your knitting posts. YAY! now you have posted one and I love the sock/ boots and pencil case. The knitted cord really is also a great embellishment. :O)

Unknown said...

I have never knitted - only crochet. Those socks are pretty cool though. Good job!
gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com

KM Nalle said...

That tool bag is gorgeous. It's been years since I crocheted, but I could never get the hang of knitting. I admire people who knot as well as you! Coming around from the A-Z challenge.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin