Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Tarts' Tale

Or, what happens when two women have a 'senior moment'  at the same time.

Yesterday, we helped to cater a  Christmas party for our Seniors Board and other volunteers.  There was a lot of stuff to put in the back of the car.  It was my job to carry out the platter of mince tarts.  When I got to the car, I could see that the loading wasn't complete so I needed to put the tray down.  Oh, no.  Not on the ground!  I stashed them on the roof of the car and passed the word to Anne that I had done this.  I had a vision of her putting them carefully in the car.

So, you can see this coming, right?  Neither one of us remembered the tarts and we happily drove off.  I could hear a bit of a rattle but figured it was just the stuff for the party.  All of a sudden, I saw this white shape fly backwards and a lot of little broken pieces scatter.  No cars were close behind me which was a miracle on that road.


This morning, we walked past the scene of the crime.  The crows were dancing for joy.  Cawing and shoving each other aside.  Not much remained but a few slivers of white plastic.  Maybe the squirrels got there first.  I can hear the word going out to the wild things:  "Party-time! The tarts have arrived!".

7 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

Sorry for laughing, but this is funny, because...I have done something like this! Seemed the senior party went well without it...and because of it, the birds had a party too = I'm still smiling -you made my day!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, this is funny!! I've seen people driving down the road with a coffee cup on the car roof! Well, did you have enough tarts?

Rudee said...

Thanks for making me laugh! I'm sure the wildlife is thankful, too.

Mimi said...

Great laugh, Stephanie, particularly at that last line!
You've a good sense of humour, and I think it's an asset to be able to laugh in the face of disaster (even mini mince pie disaster!).
Hope you had a good party, I'm sure you did!

Angie said...

What a giggle!!

Gill - That British Woman said...

oh that is so funny......at least they fed the birdies!!

Gill

Cindy said...

You're a hoot. Squirrel party on highway 2. I hope the crows didn't eat the plastic. I stopped putting stuff on the roof of my car after being embarrassed too many times.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin