Thursday, September 2, 2010

Afternoon delight

The sun shone again and it seemed like the perfect time to go for a walk in the woods.

This spot is only five minutes from home.  A gentle walk through the forest with little Rice Lake always in sight.


Families come for an afternoon of fishing.  A carefree afternoon before school starts again.


The trees are tall...


...the boulders are huge.  No, Anne's just there for size reference.  Although it does look as though she's calling for help to get up there.  It's a perfect rock for a bit of a dance!



The rain has stopped and the slugs are all over the path.  Someone dropped popcorn and they seem to like it.  These are both banana slugs but one is a spotted variety.


This one was very hard to see on the path...I almost stepped on it.  The holes on the slugs lead to their lungs -  although they can also breathe through their skins. 


At the end of a bridge, a clump of Himalayan jewel weed.  When I first started hiking in our forests I fell in love with this flower.   

This is such a nice way to get exercise and fresh air.  I wonder why we don't do it more often?  It's so close...or is that why?

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, I was going to ask you the same thing! I love the circle of trees looking upward! A cathedral of trees! Yuk to the slugs! But they are interesting...we have them here, but not this kind, which I didn't know about. If you can believe it, ours are even uglier. But back to my point, why have you never posted pictures from here before? It is lovely!

Mimi said...

I think that is why all right!
the reflection in the 2nd shot is great, and I love the tall trees one too.
Learned something new too on my visit here- re holes in slugs. Now I'm geared for "who wants to be a millionaire"!!

Jeannette StG said...

Lucky you to live so close to this piece of gorgeous nature!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin