Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ruby Tuesday


There is some red in this photo.  Just the tiniest peek through the bamboo leaves...


This is the fruit of the arum italica  which is also known as Italian Lords and Ladies. Ours has a kind of insignificant flower which reminds me of skunk cabbage.  In color only!  It doesn't have any smell at all and is a pale green. 


Then it disappears and a lo-ong time later, there is this glowing stalk of bright jewel-like berries. 

For more Ruby Tuesday, visit Mary T right here.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

I wondered what those were when they came up in the garden. I'm not sure I like the berries but they are a pretty colour.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, I have never heard of this. I guess the berries are inedible? Do the birds eat it? The berries are very pretty and so unusual looking.

Stephanie V said...

Joanna - I agree that it's not the most attractive plant. Except for the berries.

Ginny - I haven't seen anything eating these berries. Not even slugs.

Mimi said...

Haven't seen this before, and was going to ask who eats it, but Ginny got there before me.
Fantastic RT post- you've a good eye!

Lesa said...

Love the photo progression-- especially the first peekaboo one! Happy RT!

EG CameraGirl said...

The berries are so pretty in the garden. I'm going to look it up and find out more about it. But I bet it isn't hardy here. Boo hoo!

"Lillagul" said...

Lovely shots and perfect for RT :)
Have never seen this kind of berries before either.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin