Thursday, August 12, 2010

A knitter's process

A couple of weeks ago, I received a lovely little cake of alpaca sock yarn - thank you, Betty.  The colors are so bright and vibrant; they reminded me of flowers.

I was thinking of a lace design which might look like petunias or, maybe, fuschias.  I know there's a Harebell lace pattern somewhere in my many books but I couldn't find it quick enough.  Besides, I'm kind of off designing for the moment.  There are so many wonderful designs out in world, that I decided to go looking for the perfect pattern.  I knew it would be out there - and Ravelry didn't disappoint.


As I was searching, up popped this pattern:  Sweetpea by Melissa  Morgan - Oakes.  What could be more perfect for this yarn?  Look how at home the sock is in the sweet peas.   It will bring back summer every time they're worn. 

10 comments:

April said...

Beautiful yarn! Perfect, I think, for your Sweetpea Socks. The sweetpeas are also lovely and one of my favourite flowers.

Catherine said...

Thanks for sharing this - they're brilliant! I have bookmarked the pattern and will maybe try to knit them this winter. They look a bit complicated though. I knit gloves recently and am making another pair now I enjoyed it so much! There will be a blog pic of them soon!
All the best, Catherine.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I still can't get over your eye for color!! And yes, it does look like flowers! I LOVE putting it in the flower garden!!! Now tell me how your sweet peas smell. I did a post on them, and they are the most heady fragrance, beloved by perfumers, butI haven't smelled any yet! I didn't know about that when I was snapping! Can you waft some scent this way through my computer?

Rose said...

Very nice! Don't you love how we remember when and where we were when we knit something? Just adds to the joy I think.

Mimi said...

Oh indeed it will, Stephanie!
And very artistic of you to spot the connection and to set up the photo.

Rudee said...

Gorgeous! Just plain gorgeous! i really love the color...it's so happy.

Angie said...

I thought, at first, you were into 'Guerilla Knitting' !! Love the colour.

Rachel Cotterill said...

That is such a stunning colour. Very summery!

Lindy said...

Perfect pattern choice for that lovely color!

Jeannette StG said...

Love these colors, Valerie! Definitely petunias in my book:)

Thanks for linking (Ravelry is still a huge mountain for me -too much on there!)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin