Saturday, May 8, 2010

Night moves

The black bear is back!

I didn't see him/her and it's pretty hard to believe the story.  Anne swears that there was a big black bear standing at our kitchen window in the middle of the night.  There are no photos since she was shaking in her slippers.  Rats!!  One should always have the camera ready...right?

It's pretty odd that such a big animal can swan about the back yard and leave no trace.  No crushed plants or broken branches.  The only thing that is different is our neighbor's bird feeder:  that's been pulled to the ground just as it was last time a bear visited.

I'm guessing that this is actually the same bear and remembers where the goodies were.  It must be slim pickings for the bears as they've been coming out of hibernation .  But I don't think they've ever been down this low on the mountain this early in the year. 

I'm quite glad that it wasn't me dancing in the dark with the looming shadow of a black bear. 

6 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh! Do they ever do much damage there? Up on our mountain, bears will get into people's garages, as well. And into the trash cans. She must have been quite startled, in fact scared to death! If the camera had been there, I wonder if she would have been able to quit shaking and take a snap? I don't know if I could have! On the bright side, at least it was an animal, and not a human intruder!

Glennis said...

I am glad we don't have the worry of bears. He must be very hungry to come right to your window. I wouldn't go outside for a walk at night at your house, as I do at my house.

J.G. said...

Oooh, now I've got the shivers. Bears are very scary to me, even when they are minding their own business. Hope your neighbors remember to take the feeders in at night from now on.

Rachel Cotterill said...

You definitely need to have a camera ready for if he comes back again - puts my midnight visitors to shame! I would love to see a bear (we don't have them here, though, obviously)

Mimi said...

Ooh, scary!
I wonder did he visit my front driveway last night too, attempt to steal a flower pot, and drop it at the gate?
No, couldn't have been, unless he can also laugh like some young humans who've had a few too many!

Mimi said...

I should probably have the camera ready too!
Though I only woke for a second when the pot crashed, then fell back asleep and made the discovery this morning!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin