Friday, May 14, 2010

A mystery

A few years ago, when we bought the house , the garden seemed to have a limitless space to fill.  We went to nursery sales and neighborhood garden sales.  As you know, we've even acquired plants at garage sales.

 
But this is our mystery plant.  I think we've had this plant for almost ten years and I still don't know what it is.


I've asked two master gardeners  and still no idea.  We bought it as a small twig with a few leaves and a sign that said "anemone bush - grows to 5 feet".  That was so funny at the time because it stayed a tiny little couple of branches for at least three years.


Then it started to grow.  And grow - it's over 5 feet now and it's been pruned often.  Then one year, it produced a bud.  One.  It was a white flower which disappeared in less than a week.  The next year we had more.  Now, we have lots.  This is a gorgeous bush when it flowers.  The scent of the blossoms is stronger than our lilacs and is very pretty. 

Anyone know what it is?

4 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

Gorgeous blooms, I'll bet they smell heavenly. I think the tag was right, it looks like a Bush Anemone, or California Anemone.

Stephanie V said...

Thanks, SquirrelQueen. That was easy.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love these kind of challenges! I just have been helping another blogger identify a flower. I have a plant identification book, actually several. And tonight I will go through it and report back to you.

Glennis said...

I don't know what this is either but it is pretty.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin