Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday wonders - X

X is for Xylem.

When I was in elementary school, I was introduced to the parts of a tree.  Some of this learning stuck and some didn't.  But, Xylem, the innermost part,  has stayed with me for the many years.  And it did because it is an X-word.  There's something fascinating about having an X at the beginning of a word...there are actually quite a few...making it sound like a Z-word.    But most of these words don't have such splendid images as Xylem does.  


I just walked around the yard to find a few.  This is the stump of the huge hemlock that came down last year.


What's left of a branch of the butterfly bush (buddleia) - pruned a few weeks ago.


A branch of the climbing rose that was snipped off last summer to assist the house painting effort.


A lilac branch that's been gone so long it's stump has dried and cracked.


And a stem from a clematis which was pruned about three weeks ago.  I'm amazed at how dried out it looks and how quickly it happened.  No wonder plants suffer so in a drought.  

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

A wonderful post! I've learned something new today, and will now try to commit it to memory. The good pictures will be a big help. Your word verification has X for the second letter today!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Great illustrations :)

(Like Ginnie, I have an X second in my verification)/

Margaret Gosden said...

Great studies of dead wood! Thank you for being a follower!

Rose said...

Isn't it cool how taking photos, especially digital ones, make you pay closer attention to the little things? At least this is true for me. Also, can't wait to see what you do with the leather yarn!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin