Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday Wonders - L

L is for Leisure.

When I stopped working for money, I was very happy and had all kinds of plans for that extra time.  It was so nice not to have a schedule of any kind.  I could wake up in the morning and do whatever I wanted.



I did create a new craft for myself with the rug hooking.  I did make a few more quilts.  I knit more things. I could spend more time in the garden. I could read more books.  I grew my stash of necessary items to pursue all these interests. 



But a funny thing happened after about three years of all this non-stop fun.  I got bored with myself.  I began to look around for an activity that I could enjoy once or twice a week that would take me out of the house.  Since I had always wanted to learn tai chi that was what I did.  Only two mornings a week.  I could walk to and from and get even more exercise.  It was all good.



Tai chi happened to be based in the seniors rec center.   It wasn't much of a leap for me to join the seniors' association and get involved with volunteering.



Meanwhile, Anne was doing her volunteering at the thrift store.  There was a need for someone to take in the donated dolls: the babies and the Barbies.  They needed baths, their faces washed and their hair combed.  Their clothes needed washing, ironing and some mending.  Every week there are more orphaned dolls who need  a helping hand.  I enjoy the dolls for their clothes and hair - I know I am a closet fashionista - and so I volunteered.  Enter another few storage bins.



Leisure is different things to different people at different times.  But, for me, it's good to know that at least part of what I enjoy makes a difference in the life of my community.  It's good to know that I have  opportunities to keep active and - I hope - healthy.  And being able to use my talents and skills learned in my  past years in administration keeps my brain alive.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

I liked reading about your evolution into volunteering. I believe we need to feel we are contributing to something to make us feel complete. For me it's dogs. I'm thinking of getting involved with a group called Amigos de los Animales while we're here in Mazatlan.

Mimi said...

Stephanie, this is such a lovely post. Isn't it funny how life takes us down a path, and that path opens up into a beautiful and fulfilling orchard?
Your story is an inspiration.
And BTW, my giveaway is on!

Rudee said...

You are a breath of fresh air!

Ginny Hartzler said...

It sounds like you have found your retirement niche! That is so good; many people never do. Is that your motorcycle?? Are you a biker chick? Several seniors around here have them. Is it a motor scooter or motor bike? Doing the Barbies sounds like lots of fun and maybe kind of relaxing.

Stephanie V said...

Ginny - the bike is my sister's - I wouldn't call her a biker chick. Sitting on it was as good as it got for me.

tapirgal said...

What a great post! It was written by someone who will never be old! I loved reading about this evolution.

Joyful said...

It's great that you've found ways to be productive and happy in retirement. I'm learning too ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin