Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ruby Tuesday


Can you see the tiny ruby red on the moor hen's bill? He or she was found swimming in a small wetland pond by the mills in Skerries, County Dublin.

At first we thought this was a coot, but the coloring was wrong. We quickly thumbed through the bird reference and there it was - a moor hen! I was quite excited because I'd read about moor hens in fiction. Obviously, I had no clear idea of what they looked like. Now, it's on my life-list of birds.

For more Ruby Tuesday, visit Mary T who hosts this great meme.

10 comments:

Lindy said...

Nice capture of the moor hen. I have never heard of or seen one before so your post has taught me something new today. :D

Thanks for visiting my blog. I also have a blog that is just photos if you care to visit it.

http://photoblogbylindymcd.blogspot.com/

maryt/theteach said...

Stephanie, I've never seen a moor hen but this photo is lovely and sweet. Great angle for the pic! Happy Ruby Tuesday! :)

Joanna said...

I also enjoyed seeing what a moor hen looks like. We always read about them in those English novels. Happy Ruby Tuesday to you.

Rudee said...

Nice shot. I'd never heard of a moor hen before today.

Happily Retired Gal said...

I've never seen a coot nor a moor hen ... thanks for sharing ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Dianne said...

a perfect bit of red
he looks like he is deep in thought

Ellie said...

Nice red detail on that bird!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Behold the moor hen
scouting for something to eat—
crunch that bug, my sweet!

Avenue Junkie said...

Nice capture! great Ruby!

Mimi said...

I've seen these before but didn't know what they were called.
Thanks for sharing this lovely picture, Stephanie.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin