Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Valentia Island

More pictures...fewer words


We took a little car ferry over to Valentia Island. This is where the first transatlantic cable was laid down in the mid-19th century, taking radio across the sea. I don't think these kids are thinking about history at all.



Here, in Knightstown, is St John the Baptist, an old Anglican church. It's undergoing restoration. This is its rose window.


Yet more uphill paths. This was steep and about 2 kilometers up to a peak called Geokaun....


the view was well worth it. ...


and what goes up must come down - sometimes that's just as hard.



We ate our lunch here on these rocks overlooking the sea. There were tetrapod dinosaur footprints. It was about a meter long and looked like a salamander, apparently. I just liked being there and listening to the waves.


Then we trekked up from the rocks - yet another steep hill - and headed to the Shebeen to have a lesson in how to play the bodhran which is the Irish drum. Edie was an excellent drummer and an even better storyteller.

We pack up to go back to Killarney tomorrow morning. See you then.

7 comments:

Penny McKinlay said...

I am really enjoying your photographs of beaches and bays and ocean views. (Yeah, I know - typical flathead!)

Joanna said...

More amazing photographs. I know what you mean about it being harder going down hill.

Mimi said...

Wow, Stephanie, these are fantastic pictures. I've never been to Valentia Island, but seeing it now for the first time, through your eyes, I want to go.
Will you be playing the Bodhrán for me when we meet??

Rudee said...

The views of the sea and mountains appears glacial. How pretty. Wish I were there enjoying a pint with you.

Stephanie V said...

Rudee, I wish you were all here to enjoy the pints with us.
Mimi - even with a few pints - which are required for best playing - I don't think you'd get a very good concert.

Stephanie V said...

Rudee - I meant to say that these hills and rocks are the oldest part of Ireland. And it is all glacial action that scoops out the valleys and the low parts. It's good in photos but even better in real life. We just can't do it justice with a camera.

Mimi said...

Stephanie,
From your abouve comment,I can see you're getting the hang of life in Ireland! Ah "go on, go on, go on"!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin